Income Tax E-filing – Maximum 4 users for the same Mobile No. and & ID – www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in
One Mobile number-Email Id can be used for Maximum 4 users at Income Tax India E filing Site i.e. www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in
The tax filers know that they have to first get registered themselves with the Income Tax Department. For getting registered with the Income Tax Department, the assessee should have a Permanent Account Number. On the basis of PAN, other details such as corresponding address, contact details etc are to be provided to the Income Tax Department by registering with the Income Tax Department through its official online portal.
While filing online Income tax Returns, the assessee is required to enter the contact details i.e. Mobile Number and electronic contact details i.e. e – mail address. Till now it happened that the consultants who filed the returns of their clients used to enter their own contact number and e – mail address so that the correspondence was directly sent to the consultant. But this matter created serious security problems as it was not safe. The same was known when a student has hacked the security passwords and was able to get the details of well known assessees. Another problem was that, any one was able to change the password of any assessee if the high security option was not used.
To overcome such issues, the Income Tax Department has made the regulations of e – filing of Income Tax Returns very strict. The Income Tax Department has announced such security actions wide press release.
The following security problems were considered in the press release issued by the Income Tax Department:
- The taxpayers are not having their own valid contact details registered with the Income Tax Department.
- The same issue is with the assessees who are filing their Income Tax Returns online and are not providing the authenticated contact details and due to this matter, the department is not able to contact the assessee directly.
- The problems are seen in resetting the passwords and the same is because the resetting details are sent by the department to the contact details registered with the Income Tax Department and the contact details amy be of person different then an assessee.
BY keeping in mind the above matters, the Income Tax Department has taken the following actions to overcome the security issues:
- Not more than four assessees will be able to use single mobile number or Email ID for filing the Income Tax Return with the Income Tax Department. It means that now one contact details i.e. mobile number and e – mail ID can be used maximum by the four assessees for registering with the site of Income Tax Department. Such decision is taken so that group of family members can be covered under single contact detail.
- The another facility provided by the Income Tax Department is that, the assessee will be allowed to enter secondary contact details and the communication will also be sent to the secondary contact details provided by the assessee. There is no limit as to number of assessee for common secondary contact details. It means that the restriction does not apply to the providence of secondary contact details.
According to the above announcement, all the assessees are required to update their contact details and should have to provide authenticate details for the same. The Income Tax Department has also provided the process by which the assessee can update their existing contact details. We have provided the process of updating contact details in very simple language here with.
Process of updating and authenticating the contact details for New User:
This process is provided for the assessees who are going to register with the Income Tax Department on the online portal for the first time. So the new users may follow the following procedure to update their contact details:
- Go to the official online e – filing portal of the Income Tax Department i.e. www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in
- Enter your correct details including correct contact details
- After successfully providing the registration details, the department will send the activation link to your e – mail id and also a One Time Password (OTP) to your mobile number
- Open your e – mail account and go to your inbox and find the e – mail containing activation link sent by Income Tax Department and click on the activation link
- You will be asked to enter the OTP received on your mobile number
- You will be successfully registered with the Income Tax Department.
Process of updating and authenticating the contact details for existing registered users:
The Income Tax Department has provided the following process for updating the contact details of the assessees who are already registered with the Income Tax Department. So the existing return filers are advised to follow the following procedure to update their contact details:
- The registered user will have to visit the official online e – filing portal of the Income Tax Department i.e. www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in and get themselves login with the site by entering the ID and password
- A Pop –up dialog box will be displayed automatically on logging in with the site
- The Dialog box will be asking you to update your contact details
- Provide the authenticate mobile number and e – mail ID that belongs to you
- The option is also provided that the assessee can confirm that the existing contact details are already authenticate and no changes are required to be made
- But in case when the existing details are not authenticate, the asseessee is required to enter new contact details
- On registering the new details, the Income Tax Department will send two pins i.e. PIN 1 to the mobile number and PIN 2 to the e – mail ID
- The assess will have to enter both the PINs in the site of department and confirm the same
- The assessee is required not to close the webpage until the One Time PIN are not entered otherwise the above process will be required to be repeated by the assessee.
- In case when the mobile number of the assessee have been changed during the year, the assessee will have to repeat the above process of validating the contact details.
Process of entering secondary contact details:
- Go to the official online e – filing portal of the Income Tax Department i.e. www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in and login with your ID and password
- Visit “My Profile” link given under “Profile Settings” menu
- Enter the details of secondary contact and save the same.
The Income Tax Department has advised the assessees to check that they have included the e – mail in the “safe List” and SMS in the “white list”. Else the communication details will be received as spam by the assessee or may also be rejected.